10 most streamed albums with a UK tour in 2021
Celebrate #NationalAlbumDay by looking back at some of the UK's most streamed albums in 2020 and when to experience their hits performed live on stage in 2021. As we wait for events to be safe again next year, let's get ready to sing along!
1. Lewis Capaldi - 'Divinely Uninspired To a Hellish Extent'
- Release date: 17 May 2019
- Most popular tracks: Someone you loved, Grace, Hold Me While You Wait
- Album Fan Fact: after release the album spent nine weeks at Number 1 in the UK and 49 weeks in the charts altogether
- Upcoming tour dates: Lewis Capaldi is already set to perform at several of the UK's top festivals in 2021 including Reading & Leeds, Isle of Wight, TRNSMT and Belsonic. He has also rescheduled his tour dates in Manchester at Castlefield Bowl (8 July 2021) and in London at the O2 (14-15 October 2021)
2. Harry Styles - 'Fine Line'
- Release date: 13 December 2019
- Most popular tracks: Lights Up, Adore You, Watermelon Sugar, Falling
- Album Fan Fact: Rolling Stone ranked it number 491 on its list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- Upcoming tour dates: the former One Directioner is set to play in the UK for six dates from the 11th to the 24th of March 2021
3. Stormzy - 'Heavy Is The Head'
- Release date: 13 December 2019
- Most popular tracks: Vossi Bop, Crown, Wiley Flow, Own It
- Album Fan Fact: On 21 February 2020 Stormzy deleted all his social media accounts without warnings to fans. His last post just showcased his gratitude after he was awarded the unlimited free Greggs card by the bakery giant.
- Upcoming tour dates: Stormzy has rescheduled his 13-dates UK tour to April 2021. He is also set to headline Reading & Leeds festival in 2021.
4. Lady Gaga - 'Chromatica'
- Release date: 29 May 2020
- Most popular tracks: Stupid Love, 911, Sour Candy, Rain On Me
- Album Fan Fact: the album features guest vocals from Elton John, Ariana Grande (On 'Rain On Me', awarded 'Best Song' at the 2020 MTV VMAs) and K-Pop band Blackpink where they sing both in English and Korean
- Upcoming tour dates: Lady Gaga will be coming to the UK for one date only on the 30th of July 2021 at Tottenham Hotspur stadium
5. Idles - 'Ultra Mono'
- Release date: 25 September 2020
- Most popular tracks: Mr. Motivator, Grounds, A Hymn, Model Village, War
- Album Fan Fact: besides hitting the band's first-ever UK Album Chart #1 spot on week of release and being the fastest selling vinyl in 2020, 'Ultra Mono' also sold more copies than the rest of top 5 combined
- Upcoming tour dates: The punk rockers will be touring in the UK in May and June 2021 and they also will be supporting Pearl Jam at British Summertime in Hyde Park on 9 July 2021. Find out about dates, cities, venues and more
6. the Weeknd - 'After Hours'
- Release date: 20 March 2020
- Most popular tracks: Heartless, Blinding Lights, In Your Eyes
- Album Fan Fact: one of the album's singles, Blinding Lights, became an internet sensation after the #BlindingLightsChallenge was launched on Tik Tok, reaching over 100 million views during lockdown as many danced through this catchy tune
- Upcoming tour dates: the Canadian artist has rescheduled his global tour to next fall and will be performing in the UK from 22 October to 3 November 2021 with shows in London, Newcastle, Birmingham and Manchester
7. Taylor Swift - 'Folklore'
- Release date: 24 July 2020
- Most popular tracks: Exile, Cardigan, Betty
- Album Fan Fact: Taylor Swift released the album after working on it during isolation and deciding to 'share it with the world'. It also broke the Guinness World Record for the biggest opening day for an album by a female artist on streaming platform Spotify
- Upcoming tour dates: Taylor Swift was planning to headline two major UK festivals in 2020: Glastonbury and British Summertime. The singer has not yet announced new 2021 tour dates, but, as British Summertime has recently re-confirmed Pearl Jam and Pixies as 2021 headliners, there is hope that a Taylor Swift announcement could follow in the coming months. Folklore also features collaborations with Bon Iver and The National's Aaron Dessner: both bands have already confirmed their UK tour dates in 2021
8. Queen + Adam Lambert: 'Live Around The World'
- Release date: 2 October 2020
- Most popular tracks: the album features some of the band's greatest hits performed during live shows around the world in venues and festivals such as the O2 in London, Rock in Rio in Lisbon and Summer Sonic in Tokyo. One entire side is dedicated to classics performed at the 2020 Fire Fight Australia event in Sydney.
- Album Fan Fact: with this album Queen are on course for reaching their first UK number one album in 25 years. In the meantime Queen's 1981 Greatest Hits has recently hit the milestone of passing 900 weeks on Official Albums Chart Top 100; it's the third album to achieve this milestone after hit albums Bob Marley's Legend and ABBA's Gold.
- Upcoming tour dates: Queen and Adam Lambert will perform in London, Birmingham and Manchester on 14 dates from 1 to 20 June 2021
9. The Killers - 'Imploding The Mirage'
- Release date: 21 August 2020
- Most popular tracks: Caution, My Own Soul's Warning, Fire in Bone, Dying Breed
- Album Fan Fact: It is the band's first album without lead guitarist Dave Keuning. Guitar parts are covered by other musicians including Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham
- Upcoming tour dates: the Killers have rescheduled their 2020 UK stadium tour to May and June 2021. The band will tour 9 UK cities supported (in different dates) by Blossoms, Manic Street Preachers and Sam Fender
10. Michael Kiwanuka - 'Kiwanuka'
- Release date: 1 November 2019
- Most popular tracks: You Ain't The Problem, Hero, Piano Joint, Light
- Album Fan Fact: The Album received a widespread critical consensus and was featured on the "2019 Best Album" lists on several publications. This success culminated with the winning of the 2020 Mercury Prize (best album released in the UK by a British or Irish Act). The singer's past two albums Home Again and Love & Hate have also been nominated for the prize in previous years.
- Upcoming tour dates: After cancelling his 2020 performances due to health reasons and the covid-19 pandemic, Michael Kiwanuka is planning to tour a lot around the UK in 2021: 9 arena dates in March and April, two festival appearance over the summer (Latitude and Edinburgh Summer Sessions) and three additional September dates in London, Cambridge and Newcastle