Genesis reunion tour 2021: UK dates, how to get tickets and more
A Genesis reunion tour has been announced, with the band reuniting after 13 years for UK and Ireland dates in 2021.
The Last Domino? Tour will see legendary Genesis band members Tony Banks, Mike Rutherford and Phil Collins perform in the biggest arenas — the first time they’ve played together since 2007’s Turn It On Again Tour. They form one of the world’s most successful groups of all time and have sold over 100 million records globally since they launched at Charterhouse School in Surrey in 1967.
Are Genesis getting back together?
The veteran rockers confirmed they’d be hitting the road again on BBC Radio 2’s “The Zoe Ball Breakfast Show”. They will be joined on The Last Domino? Tour by their longtime bass and guitar player Daryl Stuermer as well as Phil Collins’ son Nic Collins, who will be on the drums in his father’s place.
Genesis are delighted to announce that @tonybanksmusic, @PhilCollinsFeed
and #MikeRutherford will be touring the UK in late 2020! Tickets go on sale on Friday at 9am.
More info here https://t.co/L0KvJuBNRw #lastdomino pic.twitter.com/X2RodjlpkJ
— Genesis (@genesis_band) March 4, 2020
This is not a “No Son of Mine” situation. In fact, according to The Sun, Phil Collins had requested Nic be the one to replace him on the drums after nerve damage left him unable to play the percussion instrument himself. The singer is quoted as saying, “I did mention to Tony very quietly if we did anything again it would be with Nic on drums.”
Notably absent will be founding member Peter Gabriel as well as guitarist Steve Hackett. When asked why they wanted to reunite, BBC quotes Collins as saying, “We all felt, 'Why not?’ It sounds a bit of a lame reason — but we enjoy each other's company, we enjoy playing together.”
Having recorded 15 albums, Genesis are one the biggest rock bands in history. After hinting at it for years, they recently decided to reunite after Phil Collins began touring again.
NME quotes Mike Rutherford as saying, “Phil’s been out on tour for the last two-and-a-half years and his son Nick has been drumming, so it seemed like the natural moment to have a conversation about it. We’re all still good friends, we’re all above grass and here we are!”
You may need an Invisible Touch if you want to see the group live on The Last Domino? Tour. Genesis tickets sold out in 10 minutes when the reunion tour went on sale on 6 March, though the band has fortunately added more UK dates.
In Too Deep already? Keep reading for everything you need to know before you go to the Genesis reunion tour including how to get tickets, UK dates and more.
Be there: Genesis Tickets
- When did Genesis start? 1967
- Where are Genesis from? Godalming, Surrey, England
- Who is in Genesis? Tony Banks, Mike Rutherford, Phil Collins
- What are Genesis’s albums? From Genesis to Revelation (1969), Trespass (1970), Nursery Cryme (1971), Foxtrot (1972), Selling England by the Pound (1973), The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (1974), A Trick of the Tail (1976), Wind & Wuthering (1976), ...And Then There Were Three... (1978), Duke (1980), Abacab (1981), Genesis (1983), Invisible Touch (1986), We Can't Dance (1991), Calling All Stations (1997)
- What type of music is Genesis? Pop rock, progressive rock, soft rock
- What are Genesis biggest songs? "Follow You Follow Me”, “Turn It On Again”, “Abacab”, “Paperlate”, “Mama”, “That’s All”, “Invisible Touch”, “In Too Deep”, “Throwing It All Away”, “Land of Confusion”, “Tonight, Tonight, Tonight”, “No Son of Mine”, “I Can’t Dance”, “Hold on My Heart”, “Jesus He Knows Me”, “Congo”
- Something you didn’t know: Genesis had considered the name Gabriel’s Angels after original frontman Peter Gabriel
When is the Genesis reunion tour?
The 2021 Genesis reunion tour will kick off in Dublin on 14 September and wrap in London on 13 October. The tour was originally scheduled for November 2020 but has been postponed in light of the covid-19 pandemic.
What are Genesis’s UK tour dates in 2021?
The Genesis reunion tour will see the band play 19 UK and Ireland dates. These include shows in Dublin, Belfast, Liverpool, Newcastle, London, Leeds, Birmingham, Manchester and Glasgow. After the initial dates sold out in 10 minutes on 6 March, more shows were added including two dates (London and Birmingham) announced upon confirmation of the new spring dates.
Clearly Tony Banks, Mike Rutherford and Phil Collins are excited to hit the road again in the UK. BBC quotes Rutherford as saying, “I'm looking forward to doing it. I’ve worked it out and we've only done two shows in the UK in the last 28 years, so we haven't over-worked it."
Genesis 2021 UK tour dates:
- 14 September — 3 Arena, Dublin
- 15 September — 3 Arena, Dublin
- 18 September— SSE Arena, Belfast
- 20 September — Utilita Arena Birmingham, Birmingham
- 21 September — Utilita Arena Birmingham, Birmingham
- 22 September — Utilita Arena Birmingham, Birmingham*
- 24 September — Manchester Arena, Manchester
- 25 September — Manchester Arena, Manchester
- 27 September — First Direct Arena, Leeds
- 28 September — First Direct Arena, Leeds
- 30 September — Utilita Arena, Newcastle
- 1 October — Utilita Arena, Newcastle
- 3 October — M&S Bank Arena, Liverpool
- 4 October — M&S Bank Arena, Liverpool
- 7 October — SSE Arena, Glasgow
- 8 October— SSE Arena, Glasgow
- 11 October — The O2, London
- 12 October — The O2, London
- 13 October — The O2, London*
What is the Genesis reunion tour setlist?
The Genesis reunion tour setlist remains unknown at this time, though Collins is quoted by the BBC as saying, ”There are songs that you feel you have to play because the audience would feel cheated if you didn’t.”
He continues, ”There are a few old dogs that won't be running” — specifically, the ones centred on Collins’ drumming.
How to get Genesis tickets
Can’t find sold-out Genesis tickets? No need to wander through the Land of Confusion! You can find Genesis tickets for the 2021 reunion tour right here on StubHub.