Editors announce 2020 UK tour and greatest hits album, Black Gold
British indie rockers Editors have announced a new best-of album, Black Gold, as well as details of their 2020 UK and European tour.
The Editors tour will take the five-piece to 27 cities in total, including five in the UK and Ireland. Among them is their hometown Birmingham as well as London, Manchester, Dublin and Glasgow.
Set for release on 25 October, Black Gold will compile 13 tracks from their six studio albums — covering everything from their breakthrough record The Back Room in 2005 all the way through to 2018’s critically acclaimed Violence. It will also feature fresh material including the three new songs: “Upside Down”, “Frankenstein” and “Black Gold”.
NME quotes frontman Tom Smith as saying, “To still be doing this is something I’m very proud of. These days longevity might not be seen as cool, but I think it is. We’ve solidified what this new version of the band is, and I think the new songs show that the band are hungry.”
He continues, “We’ve always felt like outsiders, but wanted to write songs that connect with people emotionally, and resonate in a deeper way. That can sound pretentious and contrived, but there are people out there that our band mean a lot to. That’s what I always wanted.”
The Brummie band boasts two platinum-selling studio albums as well as several million in record sales since their debut The Back Room, which also received a Mercury Prize nomination and rocketed the band into indie cult superstar status.
Their meteoric rise to fame continued after they released LP An End Has a Start and 2009's In This Light and On This Evening, with the latter hitting No. 1 on the UK Album Chart and further justifying Editors’ status as one of the most exciting indie rock bands since Echo and the Bunnymen.
All of that to say, the Editors UK tour in 2020 has been 15 years in the making — and is certainly not to be missed. Keep reading for everything you need to know before you go.
Be there: Editors Tour
Editors fast facts
- Band formed: 2002
- Hometown: Birmingham, UK
- Band members: Tom Smith (lead vocals, rhythm guitar, piano), Russell Leetch (bass guitar, live backing vocals), Ed Lay (drums, percussion, live backing vocals), Justin Lockey (lead guitar) and Elliott Williams (keyboards, synthesizers)
- Number of studio albums: 7; The Back Room (2005), An End Has a Start (2007), In This Light and on This Evening (2009), The Weight of Your Love (2013), In Dream (2015), Violence (2018), Black Gold (2019)
- Musical style: Indie rock
- Most famous singles: "Munich”, “Blood”, "Smokers Outside the Hospital Doors", “Papillon”, “A Ton of Love”, “The Racing Rats”, “Ocean of Night”, “An End Has a Start”, “Sugar”, “Cold”
- Interesting fact: The band met at Staffordshire University while studying music technology
What are Editor’s 2020 UK Ireland tour dates?
Editors last toured the UK and Ireland this autumn, having just wrapped 15 shows starting in Southampton and wrapping in London. The Black Gold Tour will bring them to 27 dates across Europe, bringing their greatest hits to fans in France, Russia, Germany and more.
That said, you will definitely want to be there when the Editors tour is here.
Editors tour UK and Ireland dates
- 27 February — Arena Birmingham, Birmingham
- 28 February — SSE Arena Wembley, London –
- 29 February — O2 Apollo, Manchester
- 2 March — Vicar Street, Dublin
- 3 March — Barrowland, Glasgow
What’s the Black Gold track list?
With the 25 October release date rapidly approaching, Black Gold is practically in fans’ hands —and ears— already.
When asked by The Upcoming why the band wanted to do a greatest hits collection, Editors bass guitarist Russell Leetch said, “I think because we have done six albums. We did three with Chris Urbanowicz, our original guitarist, and three with the [new] additional guys that are in the band now, and it just seemed to sum up where we were. I mean, it’s quite good in showing the path of the band — you know, we have gone from Bullets to Frankenstein. So it’s quite an evolution of our sound, and we have always wanted to do new things.”
Editors Black Gold track list
- Hallelujah (So low)
- An End Has A Start
- Upside Down
- Ocean Of Night
- No Harm
- Smokers Outside Hospital Doors
- A Ton Of Love
- The Racing Rats
- Black Gold
- No Sound But The Wind
Disc 2 (Deluxe Version only)
- Violence (Distance: The Acoustic Recordings)
- Walk The Fleet Road (Distance: The Acoustic Recordings)
- Blood (Distance: The Acoustic Recordings)
- Let Your Good Heart Lead You Home (Distance: The Acoustic Recordings)
- Smokers Outside The Hospital Door (Distance: The Acoustic Recordings)
- Fall (Distance: The Acoustic Recordings)
- Two Hearted Spider (Distance: The Acoustic Recordings)
- Distance (Distance: The Acoustic Recordings)
How to get Editors tour tickets?
Tickets for Editor’s 2020 UK tour went on sale on 13 September. Feel like you’re out for Blood trying to find them? Don’t worry, you don’t have to go to Munich — you can always get guaranteed genuine Editors tickets on StubHub.