StubHub’s 2022 Summer Tour Preview: With Nearly Twice the Events of 2019, This May Be the Hottest Summer Concert Season on Record; Mötley Crüe’s Comeback with Def Leppard is the Most In-Demand Tour
Justin Bieber is Pop’s Biggest Summer Star; Kenny Chesney Dominates Country Sales
With the temperatures warming and Memorial Day just around the corner, StubHub is pleased to share the return of our annual Summer Tour Preview showcasing the season’s highest-selling artists and in-demand shows. Music fans are eager to make live concerts part of their regular summer routine again: with nearly double the number of events, this summer’s concert itinerary is already driving 25% more ticket sales on StubHub than the 2019 season. Here’s a look at the tours driving that demand:
Mötley Crüe and Def Leppard is the #1 highest-selling tour of the summer.
- The tour is driving 82% more demand than Mötley Crüe’s once-believed “farewell tour,” of 2015, and almost three times the total sales of Kenny Chesney, StubHub’s second most in-demand artist.
- Mötley Crüe and Def Leppard’s Chicago show on July 8 commands the highest average price of tickets sold ($299) while their August 10 stop in Buffalo claims the most affordable ($149) of their summer tour.
- The tour ranks as the most in-demand concert in Los Angeles, Nashville and Chicago, with the latter ranking as StubHub’s highest-selling show of the summer overall.
- Of the top ten acts, Paul McCartney (#7) claims the highest average price of tickets sold ($349) and is tied with Billy Joel (#8) for the fewest number of concerts, demonstrating the strength of the sales they garner on a per-show basis.
Justin Bieber is seeing more demand than any other pop star, even as the U.S. leg of his first tour since 2017 winds down.
- The only pop act in the top 10 list, Bieber jumped five spots from his #9 spot in StubHub’s 2017 summer ranking, with one-third as many tour dates as Mötley Crüe.
- Chromatica phenom Lady Gaga commands the most ticket sales of any female artist and ranks as the #2 in-demand pop act, with half as many U.S. shows as Bieber.
- After seeing a boost in StubHub website traffic following his headlining Coachella performance in April, The Weeknd lands in the top pop acts at #4.
- Bieber is seeing the highest average price of tickets sold of the top 5 pop artists ($327), while the Backstreet Boys claim the most affordable ($124).
Kenny Chesney is the highest-selling country act, commanding nearly 40% more sales than his previous tour in the summer of 2018.
- Chesney ranks #2 on the top 10 list, a big jump from his #6 position in StubHub’s 2018 summer ranking.
- Solo country artists make a strong showing this summer with three acts accounting for nearly a third of the total ticket sales of the top 10 artists.
- Morgan Wallen (#3) has the most affordable average price of tickets sold ($175) of the top 10 acts, while Chris Stapleton claims the most affordable ticket ($169) of the top 5 country artists.
- With massive sales for his two solo U.S. concerts, superstar Luke Combs is seeing more demand per show of any artist this summer, also landing at #4 on the highest-selling country acts.
“This may be the busiest concert season on record, with more than double the events on StubHub than we saw in 2019,” said Adam Budelli, spokesperson for StubHub. “This packed lineup of tours is already driving 25% more demand than the 2019 season, driven by the prominence of once-in-a-lifetime concerts. From Rage Against The Machine’s reunion to Elton John’s farewell, we’re seeing the impact of concert-goers who are excited that bucket-list bands are hitting the road again and eager to witness what may be a legacy act’s final tour.”
StubHub's Top In-Demand Artists of Summer 2022
- Mötley Crüe and Def Leppard (36 tour dates)
- Kenny Chesney (41 tour dates)
- Morgan Wallen (22 tour dates)
- Justin Bieber (12 tour dates)
- Elton John (8 tour dates)
- Chris Stapleton (35 tour dates)
- Paul McCartney (6 tour dates)
- Billy Joel (6 tour dates)
- Red Hot Chili Peppers (14 tour dates)
- Rage Against The Machine (14 tour dates)
*Ranking based on cumulative ticket sales on StubHub as of May 10, 2022 for U.S. events taking place from Memorial Day (May 30th) through Labor Day (September 4th) 2022.
StubHub’s Top In-Demand Artists of Summer 2022 - Per Show Demand
- Luke Combs
- Paul McCartney
- Billy Joel
- George Strait
- Mötley Crüe and Def Leppard
- Elton John
- Lady Gaga
- Nine Inch Nails
*Ranking based on average ticket sales per show on StubHub as of May 10, 2022 for U.S. events taking place from Memorial Day (May 30th) through Labor Day (September 4th) 2022.
Rock Comeback Tours, Female Solo Acts Are “Trending” Acts of the Summer
Speaking to this year’s “summer of rock” theme, reunited groups like the Wallflowers and rising female stars like Mitski see big jumps in demand.
- The Doors guitarist Robby Krieger claims the biggest jump in average sales per show since 2019, while nineties favorites the Wallflowers are also seeing a huge jump following their first album release in almost a decade.
- Indie up-and-comer Mitski appears in the top-selling 5 female acts and lands at #7 in the list of artists with the biggest jumps in average sales per show since 2019.
“Alternative singer-songwriter Mitski and pop star Charli XCX, fresh off a Saturday Night Live performance, prove they are ones to watch, with both seeing more than quadruple the average sales per concert on StubHub this summer in comparison to 2019,” said Budelli.
Top Pop Acts
1. Justin Bieber (12 tour dates)
2. Lady Gaga (6 tour dates)
3. Backstreet Boys (44 tour dates)
4. The Weeknd (16 tour dates)
5. Bad Bunny (11 tour dates)
Top Country Acts
1. Kenny Chesney (41 tour dates)
2. Morgan Wallen (22 tour dates)
3. Chris Stapleton (35 tour dates)
4. Luke Combs (2 tour dates)
5. Garth Brooks (6 tour dates)
Top Female Acts
1. Lady Gaga (6 tour dates)
2. Alicia Keys (20 tour dates)
3. Brandi Carlile (20 tour dates)
4. Mitski (8 tour dates)
5. The Chicks (29 tour dates)
*Rankings based on cumulative ticket sales on StubHub as of May 10, 2022 for U.S. events taking place between Memorial Day (May 30th) through Labor Day (September 4th).
StubHub’s Top Trending Artists of Summer 2022*
- Robby Krieger (680%)
- American Aquarium (630%)
- Taylor Dayne (570%)
- Poi Dog Pondering (510%)
- John Waite (410%)
- Above & Beyond (400%)
- Mitski (360%)
- Charli XCX (350%)
- Morgan Wallen (325%)
- The Wallflowers (310%)
*Ranking reflects artists touring between Memorial Day (May 30th) through Labor Day (September 4th) 2022, with the greatest jump in average sales per show on StubHub in the last three years (compared to average sales of 2019 dates). Parenthesis indicates the increase in average sales per show from all the act’s 2019 dates. Data is current as of May 10, 2022.
MOST IN-DEMAND SUMMER CONCERTS BY CITY
As these acts make their way across the country, we dig into our top music markets to showcase the top events in each market this summer. Among the top concerts in each city, Lady Gaga’s Chicago stop on August 15 claims the highest average price of tickets sold ($349), while Brandi Carlile’s Nashville date on July 8 is the most affordable ($124).
- Billy Joel at Madison Square Garden on August 24
- Paul McCartney at MetLife Stadium on June 16
- Coldplay at MetLife Stadium on June 4
- Justin Bieber at Barclays Center on June 3
- Mötley Crüe and Def Leppard at Citi Field on June 24
- Mötley Crüe and Def Leppard at Wrigley Field on July 8
- Lady Gaga at Wrigley Field on August 15
- Chris Stapleton at Wrigley Field on July 23
- Elton John at Soldier Field on August 5
- Kenny Chesney at Soldier Field on June 25
- Mötley Crüe and Def Leppard at SoFi Stadium on August 27
- Justin Bieber at Kia Forum on July 2
- Kenny Chesney at SoFi Stadium on July 23
- Chris Stapleton at Glen Helen Amphitheater on June 11
- Red Hot Chili Peppers at SoFi Stadium on July 31
- Chris Stapleton at Shoreline Amphitheatre on June 18
- Red Hot Chili Peppers at Levi's Stadium on July 29
- Daddy Yankee at SAP Center at San Jose on August 12
- The Lumineers at Chase Center on August 3
- Alicia Keys at The Masonic on September 3
- Mötley Crüe and Def Leppard at Nissan Stadium on June 30
- Red Hot Chili Peppers at Nissan Stadium on August 12
- Brandi Carlile at Ascend Amphitheater on July 9
- Brandi Carlile at Ascend Amphitheater on July 8
- Turnpike Troubadours at Ryman Auditorium on July 29
*Rankings based on cumulative ticket sales on StubHub as of May 10, 2022 for U.S. events taking place between Memorial Day (May 30th) through Labor Day (September 4th) 2022 in each metro area.
StubHub wants to make sure fans have these tips to be safe ticket buyers:
At StubHub, our mission is to bring the joy of live to fans globally. As the world’s most trusted ticket marketplace, we enable fans to buy and sell tickets to tens of thousands of events, whenever and wherever fans want to be. Backed by award-winning customer care, StubHub’s FanProtect™ Guarantee means every ticket is guaranteed valid or you’ll receive a replacement ticket of equal or better value, or your money back. Our business partners include more than 130 properties across the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS, NCAA and Paciolan. StubHub provides the total end-to-end event going experience throughout the world. For more information on StubHub, visit StubHub.com or follow @StubHub on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or LinkedIn.